- 1). Park the vehicle in the well-lighted work space and open the hood. Locate the belt diagram under the hood to give you a visual guide.
- 2). Remove cover from over the alternator with your adjustable wrench.
- 3). Locate the hexagon bolt in the middle of the alternator. Securely place your socket wrench on the bolt and turn it counterclockwise. The belt will begin loosening. The more you turn the nut the more slack you will have to remove the belt.
- 4). Pull the belt off of the alternator and continue removing it from around the other pulleys. Track your steps while removing the belt, because installing the new belt is the same process but reverse.
- 5). Install the new belt on to the alternator looping it onto the other pulleys.
- 6). Tighten the bolt on the alternator until the belt is semi tight around all of the pulleys.
Guide the belt with your free hand while you are tightening it so that it doesn't come off the pulleys.
How to Change the Serpentine Belt on a 2001 Dodge Caravan